In gastric sleeve surgery, which is also called a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, a large –about 80%– of stomach is removed and leaving a shape of tube or banana. After this surgery, patients’ food intake, whose have this operation, is restricted and they can feel full with a small amount of food. During the operation, the fundus –a part of the stomach that releases the ghrelin (hunger) hormone– is removed as well. So, the level of ghrelin hormone decreases. After the surgery, patients can feel full with small amount of foods and loss of appetite occurs. In addition, the complication rate of sleeve gastric surgery is very low. People who have gastric sleeve can lose a major part of their excess weight within approximately 18 months after the operation.
Sleeve gastrectomy is performed laparoscopically (closed method) by making a few small incisions in the upper abdomen and using a surgical camera. This operation is performed by using surgical staples which help to cut and stitch in it at the same time and nearly 80% of the stomach is removed from the abdomen area. By means of gastric sleeve surgery, the amount of food that you can consume is restricted.
Who is not a candidate for surgery?
Not everyone is suitable for this surgery
People are not appropriate for sleeve gastrectomy, if they:
- are not suitable for the general anesthesia,
- have an alcohol and drug addiction,
- have serious psychological problems,
- have a low BMI level for having this surgery.
Are the results of gastric sleeve permanent?
The results of sleeve gastric surgery are permanent
After the surgery, patients can achieve their goal weight and can maintain this. However, if they don’t get good nutritional habits, they may regain some weights in the following years. Nevertheless, possibility of weight gain largely decreases by comparison with their pre-surgery conditions.
What are the risks of sleeve gastrectomy?
Complication rates of gastric sleeve operation are very low compared to other bariatric and metabolic surgeries
The complication rates of sleeve gastric surgery are similar to those of other operations such as gall bladder, intestine, and stomach surgeries etc.
The average complication risks in sleeve gastrectomy are as follows
| ||World Average||Our Clinic Average|
|Leak risk||% 2,1||% 0,2|
|Risk of bleeding||%1,2||% 0,2|
|Stenosis risk||% 0,6||% 0|
|Fatality rate||% 0 ,08||% 0|
Does a sleeve gastrectomy cause permanent damage?
Sleeve gastric surgery is a very safe operation compared to obesity-related health problems
Studies have shown that sleeve gastrectomy has no negative effects in the long term. On the contrary, it has been proved by many studies that this surgery prolongs lifespans of people who have this operation and it is a very effective method in the long term for treating the obesity- related diseases and health problems.
How long has sleeve gastrectomy been performing?
Sleeve gastrectomy has been performed since 1997
First sleeve gastrectomy surgery was performed in 1997 as an open surgery. It has been applied to patients laparoscopically since the beginning of 2000s.
After the surgery
Patient’s all life and health conditions change positively after gastric sleeve surgery
Patients lose weight rapidly after sleeve gastrectomy and the negative effects of obesity on them reduce day by day.
- Sexual lives of people who have this surgery get better.
- The problems about pregnancy for them decrease.
- Patients recover from their hormonal problems.
- Depression decreases.
The health team, surgeon and their experiences are really important for people who want to have sleeve gastrectomy
The cost of sleeve gastrectomy can vary depending on materials used in the surgery, hospital, surgeon experience, pre-operative and post-operative examinations, patient follow-up system, and other services such as accommodation, transfer, medicine etc. For example, sleeve gastrectomy prices are $15.000 to $50.000 in USA, 4.000 Euros to 60.000 Euros in European countries, and 1.800 to 20.000 in Turkey
Why it’s preferred
Sleeve gastrectomy is preferred because it provides rapid weight loss and it has low complication rates.
Sleeve gastric surgery has become one of the most preferred obesity procedures around the world due to its advantages. For example, sleeve gastrectomy lead to rapid and effective weight loss, reduce the appetite, and improves the health. It does not affect digestive tract and does not inhibit absorption. Also, it does not cause dumping syndrome mostly. In addition, there is no need for a gastric band. Sleeve gastrectomy can be performed laparoscopically (in closed method). It can be used in the pioneering treatment of diseases such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. It is preferred for the treatment of some diseases such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Furthermore, this surgery can be turned into a gastric bypass operation. Apart from these, patients who have gastric sleeve surgery do not need to stay hospital too long, and they can return their daily and normal life quickly. Also, this surgery is cheaper than other surgical methods. Finally, its complication rate is very low and its success rate is really high.
Is sleeve gastrectomy safe?
Sleeve gastrectomy is very safe compared to obesity-related health problems
The surgeon decides to perform it after evaluating the candidate’s general health condition, possible health problems, and surgical risks. Of course, it is normal to get different opinions from different doctors. However, people who want to have sleeve gastrectomy should not forget that every doctor firstly care about theirs patients’ health.
The pre-operative checks are really important for minimizing the risk of sleeve gastrectomy
- Blood tests help to determine a possible health problem and to check whether there is an obstacle for having the surgery.
- Dexamethasone suppression test is also important, because obesity can cause some hormonal problems. It is crucial to have a test for diagnosis the diseases such as cushing syndrome by pre-operative cortisol suppression for the candidate’s health.
- Abdominal ultrasound helps to check patient's internal organs, lipoidosis, gall etc. In addition, after this check, performing combined operation can be decided. For example, if there is gallstone, laparoscopic method might not be chosen depending on the size of the gallstone and necessity of the combined operation.
- Before the surgery, the psychiatrist check whether the patients’ having drug-alcohol dependence, eating disorder, and their psychological condition
- An internal diseases specialist checks and examines the candidates’ health condition that whether they have diabetes, thyroid disease or any health problems.
How does a sleeve gastrectomy help you to lose weight?
After sleeve gastrectomy, when you eat a small amount of food, you feel full and your appetite decrease.
Sleeve gastrectomy helps you to lose weight as follows:
- Physical effects: Gastric sleeve surgery limits the amount of food that you can eat, and you can consume ? of the amount of food which you could eat before the surgery.
- Hormonal Effects: It reduces the feeling of hunger by decreasing the level of hunger hormone which is called Ghrelin. Glucagon-like peptide-1 hormone (GLP-1) level increases after sleeve gastrectomy, and this increasing levels of GLP-1 are indicated to contribute to weight loss by improving glucose metabolism, reducing the feeling of hunger and increasing the feeling of fullness. For example, a person who is full up with 2 portions of food before the surgery, feels full with 1/2 portions after the operation. In addition, as a result of ghrelin (hunger) hormone level decreases, leptin (satiety) hormone level increases in a shorter time, so that a person does not want to eat more.
Do I need to take vitamins lifetime?
After gastric sleeve surgery, you don’t need to take vitamins lifetime
Sleeve gastrectomy does not limit absorption, so taking vitamins lifetime is not needed for you if you keep balanced diet. However, in the first months after the operation, protein and vitamin supplements are needed for protecting and curing your stomach.
Who can a sleeve gastrectomy?
A person whose BMI level is higher than 40, BMI level is higher than 35 and has associated diseases, and BMI level is higher than 30 and whose surgery confirmed by the doctor can have sleeve gastrecto.
Sleeve gastrectomy has low complication rates and high success levels. After the surgeon evaluates how much patients can benefit from this operation, BMI (Body Mass Index) of them, their obesity-related diseases (diabetes, blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc.), the diseases arising from obesity (genetic predisposition, the symptoms of these diseases), their quality of life, their psychological factors, decides whether the patients is suitable for the operation or not.
How much weight can I lose after gastric sleeve?
After the first 3 months, patients generally lose 30% of theirs weights
You can lose 15-20% of your excess weight in the first month and you can lose the 30% of them the first three months.
ALL THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT A DOCTOR OR OTHER HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS FOR DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF YOUR MEDICAL CONDITION. WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY LEGAL AND ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITY, UNLESS OUR DOCTORS AND SPECIALISTS ARE CONSULTED REGARDING YOUR MEDICAL STATE
Duration of procedure
30 min- 1,5 h
How much time should i spend
4 night 5 days
When to get results
Weight loss starts rapidly after surgery
2890 € - 4500 €