Zirconia crown procedure, which is also called Zirconia dental crown and Zirconium veneers procedure, is frequently performed by dentists, is a dental restoration that provides closest to the natural teeth aesthetically nowadays. Today, instead of metal crown dental implants, Zirconia crowns are used both in terms of light transmission and aesthetics. Zirconia crowns are made especially in front teeth where eating and drinking pressure may be lower. The tissue-compatible Zirconia crown does not create a color change over time. The metal teeth or silver tooth crowns, which became dark and did create unpretty appearance in the mouth, were left and replaced with Zirconia crown in time. Zirconia crown has long-term use, if oral and dental care is done regularly. Also, Zirconia crowns are made from zirconium dioxide
When Zirconia crown procedure is done, after the gums are cut and teeth are removed, the data of three-dimensional structure of the teeth is transferred from the scanner the computer. This scanning process is of two kinds. In the first one, as soon as the teeth are removed, the image is transferred to the digital by using the scanners and cameras without putting any measurement tool in the person`s mouth, and then the plan of the procedure is made in the computer. The data is then sent to the CAD CAM system. Zirconia blocks are made into the structure of porcelain teeth with the help of rotary systems. In the second method, after the person`s teeth are removed, oral measurements are taken. Thereafter, the measurements send to the laboratory. Then new forms and measurements are taken according the original one. After that, they are scanned with special tools similar to scanners in computers and transferred to the digital.
Zirconia crown is preferred, if the person:
- wants to eliminate aesthetic problems, to create a desired smile.
- is dissatisfy the teeth color and any desired results couldn't obtain by methods such as bleaching.
- wants to strengthen the teeth after root canal treatment.
- has a metal dental bridge or a dental crown.
- has a diastema problem (a gap or space between the teeth).
- has broken teeth.
- has teeth loss.
- had already have a tooth decay treatment.
Step 1: This procedure is performed under the mild anesthesia. The gums are cut and teeth are removed. Also, oral measurements are taken at this stage. It is prepared the tooth and installed a temporary crown, and then it is cemented.
Step 2: It is tested whether the crown is suitable for the gum or not. The desired tooth color, and it's unison to the face are checked by testing.
Step 3: After all of them is finished, the Zirconia dental crowns are placed
- Zirconia crowns are impact resistant that is proven its quality by means of many tests.
- There is no extra feeling sensitive to hot and cold by teeth.
- The natural appearance can be got thanks to light transmission.
- The metal teeth or silver tooth crowns, which became dark and did create unpretty appearance in the mouth, were left and replaced with Zirconia crown in time. Because Zirconia crowns do not cause a dark line on the gum.
- It does not cause an allergic reaction.
- The Zirconia dental crowns' colors do not change due to some factors such as drinking coffee and tea, or smoking.
- It does not cause taste disorder and bad breath.
- It can be used easily even in people who have a gum disease.
Zirconia crowns can last nearly for 30 years. It can vary depending on factors such as:
- Oral hygiene
- The area that they placed (ex: rear tooth, front tooth)
- Bite force
Taking into consideration these, the price of Zirconia Crown Procedure is affordable. If people who have this procedure regularly brush their teeth and take care of their oral health and dental hygiene, they can use both their natural teeth and the Zirconium crown teeth, and they can prolong the crown's life.
In addition, smoking, drinking alcohol, grinding or clenching of the teeth etc. are very important factors for lasting of Zirconia crown.
The treatment lasts approximately 7 to 10 days. Tooth extraction is completed in one week in patients without advanced gingival recession or any gingival problems. In patients who have gum problems, this period may vary depending on the healing time of the gums. Treatments for fixing gum problems are done before Zirconia Crown Procedure.
Cutting of the gums is performed under local anesthesia, and then temporary crown are installed in order to prevent hot and cold tingling. Only a few people experience a slight tingling, and they generally have this treatment without experience any problem
After Zirconia Crown Procedure, taking care of the crown is same as daily dental care. Therefore, the requirements for daily dental care apply to Zirconia crown too. The proper brushing technique and the correct way to use dental floss should be performed 2 to 3 times daily will be sufficient for long-term use of Zirconia crowns.
In Zirconia Crown Procedure, little tooth abrasion occurs, but this is no more than that for metal crowns